From 1963 the Hawker Aircraft name was dropped in favour of Hawker Siddeley Aviation
Download 8.75 Kb.Pdf ko'rish
From 1963 the Hawker Aircraft name was dropped in favour
of Hawker Siddeley Aviation
In 1959 the Hawker Siddeley Group bought Folland Aircraft at Hamble in Hampshire
and Blackburn Aircraft at Brough in Yorkshire. In 1963 Hawker Siddeley Aviation (HSA)
was formed, and a Hawker Blackburn Division established with its headquarters at
Kingston combining the Hawker, Blackburn and Folland operations.
The 1964 Hawker Siddeley Kestrel was the world’s ﬁrst jet V/STOL
aircraft to be ﬂown by service pilots
Ralph Hooper developed his Hawker P.1127 into the Hawker Siddeley Kestrel. Nine Kestrels were
built for the tripartite Kestrel Evaluation Squadron manned by pilots, ground crew and engineers
from the UK, the USA and West Germany. After these successful trials 6 Kestrels went to the
USA for further service trials and experimental ﬂying.
In 1969 the RAF became the world’s ﬁrst air force to operate
a V/STOL aircraft, the Hawker Siddeley Harrier developed
In 1965 John Fozard was appointed Chief Designer Harrier to direct the
development of the Harrier from the Kestrel. The ground attack and
reconnaissance Harrier GRMk1 entered RAF service in 1969 operating in Germany as
part of NATO’s Cold War defences. In time of war the Harriers would operate away
from vulnerable airﬁelds using car parks and streets in towns or in the countryside
from hides in woods.
AV8A Harriers were bought by the United States Marine
Corps, a rare example of a foreign combat aircraft in US
The Harrier is ideally suited the expeditionary nature of USMC operations and
110 AV8As were built at Kingston and Dunsfold in the early 1970s. Similar aircraft were
bought by the Spanish navy to ﬂy from their aircraft carrier.
The 1969 stretched tandem two-seat Harrier trainer carried the
student in front and the instructor behind
Two-seat Harriers were only required in small numbers. To keep costs down, John Fozard
managed to retain most of the original Harrier airframe by inserting a second cockpit behind
the standard cockpit, ﬁtting the ﬁn on a plinth to increase its area and adding a tail sting to
hold removable ballast. For combat use, weight saving was simply achieved by removing the
rear seat and tail ballast.
In 1977 Hawker Siddeley Aviation was nationalized to
become part of British Aerospace
When the British aircraft industry was nationalized, Kingston became the headquarters
of the Kingston-Brough Division of British Aerospace.(BAe). In March 1984 Kingston
joined the new Weybridge Division of BAe, merging the two old rivals, Hawker and
Vickers. In 1986 Kingston became part on the new Military Aircraft Division of BAe
and in 1989 part of BAe (Military Aircraft) Ltd.
The Hawker Siddeley/British Aerospace Hawk was the last
all-British aircraft to enter RAF service
Through the 1970s the Hawker Siddeley 1182, later named Hawk, was designed under
Chief Engineer Ralph Hooper’s direction by Chief and Assistant Chief Designers
Gordon Hudson and Gordon Hodson to satisfy an RAF requirement for an
advanced trainer. Ralph Hooper directed that the performance and capabilities
of the aircraft should exceed RAF needs. This was a wise decision, as Hawks
went on to sell in large numbers to air forces all over the world and still
operates as the RAF’s advance trainer.
HAWKER SIDDELEY AND BRITISH
AEROSPACE IN KINGSTON
Download 8.75 Kb.
Do'stlaringiz bilan baham:
ma'muriyatiga murojaat qiling