W est n ewton


Download 6.69 Mb.
Pdf ko'rish
Sana10.01.2019
Hajmi6.69 Mb.

W

EST

N

EWTON

West Newton’s first and biggest industry was the Markle paper mill,

opened in 1859 to supply western Pennsylvania with quality paper.

Wood pulp came from a mill in Markleton, Somerset County. After both

mills closed in 1893 because of water pollution, the West Newton mill

was bought by the U.S. Radiator Company, which made heating

radiators here until 1955.

A river crossing in an

industrial valley

There has been a river crossing here since the days of 

the Native Americans. The original trail, called the

Glades Path, was widened about 1772, becoming the

Glades Road or the Great Road, connecting Bedford 

to Washington, Pennsylvania. Westward immigrants 

built flatboats here to go down river.

The original settlement was named Simrall’s Ferry, 

and later Robb’s Ferry after Isaac Robb, who laid the

town out in 1794 after Federal troops burned his 

fences when they quelled the Whiskey Insurrection. 

The town was first called Robbstown, and later was

renamed West Newton.

The river opened to two-way steamboat navigation in

1850, and ten years later the railroad came to town.

Good transportation and coal from local mines turned

West Newton into an ideal manufacturing center. 

1

1



2

3

4



5

6

8



1

2

3



4

5

6



7

8

You Are Here



U.S. Radiator Co.

Opera House

Tremont House

Presbyterian Church

United Presbyterian Church

Ev. Lutheran Church

B&O Railroad Station

P&LE Railroad Station

W

est Newton: Memories of an old town, Florilla W

. Albig

S

P O N S O R E D

B

Y

:

• Allegheny Trail Alliance

• Regional Trail Corporation

• National Park Service

7

W



est Newton Pennsylvania, 1900. Fowler

. Courtesy of the Library of Congress, Map Division.

W

EST

N

EWTON

West Newton’s first and biggest industry was the Markle paper mill,

opened in 1859 to supply western Pennsylvania with quality paper.

Wood pulp came from a mill in Markleton, Somerset County. After

both mills closed in 1893 because of water pollution, the West Newton

mill was bought by the U.S. Radiator Company, which made heating

radiators here until 1955.

A river crossing in an

industrial valley

There has been a river crossing here since the days of 

the Native Americans. The original trail, called the

Glades Path, was widened about 1772, becoming the

Glades Road or the Great Road, connecting Bedford 

to Washington, Pennsylvania. Westward immigrants 

built flatboats here to go down river.

The original settlement was named Simrall’s Ferry, 

and later Robb’s Ferry after Isaac Robb, who laid the

town out in 1794 after Federal troops burned his 

fences when they quelled the Whiskey Insurrection. 

The town was first called Robbstown, and later was

renamed West Newton.

The river opened to two-way steamboat navigation in

1850, and ten years later the railroad came to town.

Good transportation and coal from local mines turned

West Newton into an ideal manufacturing center. 

1

1



2

3

4



5

6

8



1

2

3



4

5

6



7

8

You Are Here



U.S. Radiator Co.

Opera House

Tremont House

Presbyterian Church

United Presbyterian Church

Ev. Lutheran Church

B&O Railroad Station

P&LE Railroad Station

W

est Newton: Memories of an old town, Florilla W

. Albig

S

P O N S O R E D

B

Y

:

• Allegheny Trail Alliance

• Regional Trail Corporation

• National Park Service

7

W



est Newton Pennsylvania, 1900. Fowler

. Courtesy of the Library of Congress, Map Division.


Download 6.69 Mb.

Do'stlaringiz bilan baham:




Ma'lumotlar bazasi mualliflik huquqi bilan himoyalangan ©fayllar.org 2020
ma'muriyatiga murojaat qiling