Worksheet 2 Exercise Modal verbs. Use the modal verbs can (could), may
Download 26.5 Kb.
- Bu sahifa navigatsiya:
- Exercise 3. Present and past tenses (Passive). Convert the following sentences into the passive voice (2.5 scores) .
- Exercise 4. Write an essay on the topic of “Famous people of the world” (2.5 scores) .
Exercise 1. Modal verbs. Use the modal verbs can (could), may (might) or must in the gaps (2.5 scores).
1. Can you see anything in this inky darkness?
2. You may go when you have finished your essays.
3. What shall we do if the train is late? It may be late, you know, after the terrible snowstorm we’ve had.
4. You may come in when you have taken off your boots.
5. When can you come and see me? – Let me see: I can not come tomorrow, for I can be at the meeting.
Exercise 2. Prepositions. Insert the proper prepositions in the gaps if necessary. (2.5 scores).
1. We tried to speak to him, but he did not want to listen to us. He did not even look to us and did not answer at our questions.
2. Your brother complains about you. He says you always laugh at him, never speak to him and never answer … his questions.
3. When I entered at the room, everybody looked with me with surprise: they had not expected (nothing) me.
4. At the end of the street she turned (nothing) the corner, walked to the bus stop and began waiting for the bus.
5. I am sorry, I cannot speak to you now, the professor is waiting for me. I must go to the university and explain to him some details of our work. Come in the evening, I shall listen to you very attentively.
Exercise 3. Present and past tenses (Passive). Convert the following sentences into the passive voice (2.5 scores).
1. The doctor ordered me a month’s rest from studying.
I was ordered a month’s rest from studying.
2. In summer the boys often drive the horses to the fields.
In summer the horses are often driven to the fields.
3. Bessie’s father gave her a complete set of Walter Scott’s works.
Bessie was given a complete set of Walter Scott’s works.
4. Her daughters gave her three beautiful dishes as a birthday present.
She was given three beautiful dishes as a birthday present.
5. We must send these letters at once.
The letters must been sent at once.
Exercise 4. Write an essay on the topic of “Famous people of the world” (2.5 scores).
There are a lot of famous people in the world. Some of these are businessmen or artists. One of these is Steve Jobs who was creator and CEO of corporation Apple. He was born 1955 year in USA, California. In 1970, young Jobs and his friend Wozniak invented the first personal computer as known Apple I. Steve Jobs was gifted leader which paid attention each of his personnel. Jobs was named Businessman of the Year in 1985 by Forbes. Nowadays, his smartphones Apple is considered the most significant phones in the world.
Download 26.5 Kb.
Do'stlaringiz bilan baham:
ma'muriyatiga murojaat qiling